This is why we use only 100% natural mother yeast for our products.
The ancient and legendary history of mother yeast dates back to the period around 2000 a.c. when, following a flooding of the Nile in Ancient Egypt, the water of the river bathed a load of flours and, with the help of the hot Egyptian sun, the first fermentation took place.
With the passage of time, the mixture became swollen, enlarged and acid, before throwing it away the mixture was mixed with other new flour and the product that resulted after cooking became nothing but a bread of a lighter consistency, but with a very fragrant and pleasant taste.
This natural experiment or what at first seemed like a disaster, was repeated and people understood that keeping aside a small piece of raw dough for freshly made bread, it triggered the leavening for the following baking with excellent results.
Today, at Leonardo Forno Biscottificio, we take old bakers' advices to heart, making our our sourdough in a perfectly controlled environment in terms of hygiene and temperature, using the most advanced technologies, combining in our laboratory the most absolute tradition with modern machinery.
The mother yeast is a mixture of water and flour fermented by milk enzymes and agents containing simple sugars, such as apple or honey, kept alive thanks to daily "refreshments". The production with natural yeast requires a considerably higher number of fermentation hours, but as a result there are no comparisons: you get a lighther product, with a thin and crisp crust, with immense healthy properties and benefits.
The use of natural mother yeast in bread making has many advantages:
- products are more digestible, because there are microorganisms that can decompose flour and gluten more completely (reducing also glycemic index and postprandial insulin level), removing creation of molds (so products last longer);
- mother yeast makes vitamins and minerals from the flour more assimilable than a common yeast: it allows the body to absorb more essential nutrients such as calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, antioxidants, folic acid and other B vitamins;
- greater shelf life: lactic ferments produce lactic and phenyl-lactic acid, which act as natural preservatives and increase the preservability of the finished product;
- stronger aroma, flavor and fragrance, that depend mainly on the presence of lactic acids;
- reduced level of phytic acid;
- products based on natural yeast cause a lower increase in blood sugar levels in diabetic individuals;
- naturally leavened bread leaves a greater sense of lightness after meals, it also has a beneficial effect on intestinal flora.